Obtaining an employment visa for Spain can be tough, especially if you are planning to work for 1 year or less. Applying for a student visa is a smart solution in you plan to work in Spain for 1 year with possibility of renewal.

There is no internship visa category in Spain. If you plan to work as intern in Spain or part time, you need to apply for student visa, which will allow you to work in Spain up to 20h/week.



In Spain it is very difficult to hire somebody from outside the EU through an employment contract as the bureaucratic process involved is massive, that is the reason why companies prefer to hire young graduated or students via the University internship contract, which is linked to the student visa.


The first step to apply for the student visa (even if still you did not gather all documents) is to book an appointment at the Spanish Embassy in your country or the country where you are currently living. You can book the appointment by accessing to the official website of the Spanish Embassy in your country or the country from where you are applying for. From the appointment date, the Spanish Embassy takes up to 1 month to give a reply (granting or declining the visa). 



In order to obtain the student visa, you need to provide the following documents:


1. A Certificate of admission/letter of acceptance issued in Spain by any authorized university or school, verifying enrollment as a full-time student, leading to obtaining a degree or certificate.

The certificate must detail:

-Name of the program

-Duration (start and end dates)

-Address, phone number, name of the person in charge of the program. 

-Registration number of the School/University with Spain's Department of Education (Ministerio de Educación de España)

-Full payment of tuition

-Subjects of the study

-Hours of study per week which must be no less than 20.


2. National visa application form duly filled out and signed.


3. Health insurance.

International insurance coverage for health/accident, with a minimum coverage equal to €30,000 (or its equivalent in dollars) and including explicitly "repatriation” and “evacuation” coverage during the planning period of stay in Spain.


4. Proofs of financial means during your stay. Please provide one of the following:

a. Letter from the university or school in Spain or in the US assuming full financial responsibility during your stay (this is often included into the acceptance letter).

b. Proof of financial aid or scholarship for at least $700 per month for room and board.

c. Notarized letter from the parents or legal guardians assuming full financial responsibility for at least $700 per month for room and board. Suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I'm the (father/mother/other) of (...), will support him/her with a monthly allowance of at least $700 while he/she is in Spain and that I'm financially responsible for any emergency that may arise".

d. Personal bank account statements showing at least $700 per month of stay.


5. Copy of Police Record Certificate and medical certificate.  




1.       You get enrolled into an University course in Spain on your own:
You can search different university courses at any of these portals:
Study Portal:
Study in Spain: 
UNED, Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (Spanish Government Distance University):,24305391&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL 

2.       I have an offer job from a school/language academy/kindergarten register at Erasmus In School:

Your job offer is an university internship contract linked to the Erasmus In School program. This kind of contract includes the following terms:

-Your legal status will be “university intern” and the wage provided by the employer will be given in the concept of “scholarship”.  That is the reason you will pay way less taxes to the Spanish Government), maximum €20/month. Your salary will not be affected by any means due to the fact that you are an intern.

-You are given Social Security (full health social care in Spain) for free.

-This internship contract includes an automatic enrolment into an online course at the university provided by Erasmus In School program, free for you. However, as you need to be enrolled into an course equivalent to 20h/week, you need to be enrolled into a second course in order to reach the minimum 20h/week that the student visa demands.


EIS offers you the chance to be enrolled into second online University course from one of our partner universities. The cost of the second course enrolment is €670 (taxes included). This cost has a 20% discount included, as we only work with partner universities. 

EIS will provide you the following documents:

1.       Certificate of admission/letter of acceptance with all details accordingly to the Spanish Embassy´s requirements. The courses available are related to Teaching Methodologies, Social Media or Efficient ways of being productive at work.

2.       Proof of financial aid or scholarship for at least $700 per month for room and board (through the internship university contract).



3.       I do not have an offer job in Spain yet, I just want to obtain the student visa which will allow me to apply for jobs where I can work up to 20h/week:

You can apply for a student visa via Erasmus In School. EIS will enrol you into 2 online University courses, which will allow you to obtain the student visa.


EIS will provide you the following documents:

1.      Certificate of admission/letter of acceptance with all details accordingly to the Spanish Embassy´s requirements.

Price of 2 courses: €1028,5 (taxed included)


Note: Please, be aware that Erasmus In School will not manage your visa. You need to apply on your own, however, EIS will provide you the certificate of admission/letter of acceptance with all academic requirements as the student visa demands.  



If you wish to apply for student visa via Erasmus In School, please send an email to